Menu

State of the Village Address, Village of Marblehead, 2014

By Mayor Jacqueline Bird

As it is told, in the early 1800’s the first settlers arrived on the Marblehead Peninsula. The goal was to survey the new territory provided to them after being burned out by the British during the Revolution. Though some took advantage of this new frontier, most soon fled, fearing invasion by the British and their Indians allies.

Shortly after the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813, when Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry defeated the British, the settlers finally felt safe to return to the new frontier, their home, the Marblehead Peninsula.

As the years passed and population grew, the residents petitioned Ottawa County on June 2, 1890, to incorporate a municipality. The petition filed with the State of Ohio incorporated our home, The Village of Marblehead, on Jan. 2, 1891.

Proudly, our village sits on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula, dividing Lake Erie and the Sandusky Bay. It is a total size of 4.31 miles. 3.31 miles is land with 1 square mile water.

Read more...

Marblehead council seeking candidates

The Marblehead Village Council is currently seeking residents interested in filling a vacant council seat for the remainder of the term which expires on Dec. 31, 2017. The successful candidate must have resided within the municipality for at least one year prior to assuming office and must remain a resident and qualified elector. Residents interested in filling this vacancy should send a letter of interest to: Village of Marblehead Council, 513 W. Main Street, P.O. Box 306, Marblehead, Ohio 43440 by Saturday, Feb. 8,  for consideration.

Read more...

Dave Redett newest member of Marblehead council

Dave Redett is congratulated by Marblehead Mayor Jackie Bird after he took the village council oath of office last Friday evening as his wife, Lisa, watched.  Dave is the newest member of six-person council. Former councilwoman Vickie Kozak decided not to pursue an additional term.  

Village meetings are at 6 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at the Marblehead fire station.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed