Pictured from L-R: Lynn Majce, 2013-14 Club Red Chair, Connie Starnes and David Amerine
Local volunteers for the American Red Cross of Ottawa County were recognized for outstanding service Wednesday evening at the home of Deena Camerato. Entertainment was provided by pianist Greg Fox. In addition to the annual holiday gathering, the evening featured appreciation and acknowledgment of Red Cross volunteer leaders.
2013 Volunteers of the Year:
• Dave Amerine joined the Ottawa County Advisory Board in 2011 and is a member of the Ottawa County Disaster Action Team. He has played an integral part in the creation of a regional Speakers Bureau for the organization and has helped train nearly 40 volunteers throughout the 18 counties served by the Northwest Ohio Region.
• Connie Starnes has been an Ottawa County Red Cross Disaster Action Team volunteer for 11 years and currently serves as a team leader. Starnes has volunteered her technical expertise on many projects over the past decade, including the integration of local shelter spaces into the Red Cross National Shelter System database.
• Club Red is celebrating its eighth year with 85 current members who support the mission of the Red Cross by offering education opportunities, public relations events, and fundraising. The award was accepted by this year’s chair, Lynn Majce.
Volunteer Hall of Fame Inductees:
• Judy Oleksa, RN has spent the past 33 years screening blood pressures for the Red Cross.
• Richard Gottschalk has been a Red Cross volunteer for 15 years and serves as the Ottawa County Disaster Action Team Leader.
• Lea Mark has been a Red Cross volunteer Babysitter Training instructor for more than 10 years. She is a teacher for Danbury Local Schools and facilitates an authorized provider agreement to teach fifth and sixth grade students babysitter skills.
The following volunteers earned Red Cross years of service pins:
• 25 years – Audrey Morrow
• 15 years – Linda Snyder and Richard Gottschalk
• 10 years – Lea Mark
• 5 years – Barbara Gravengaard, Mary Anne Koebel and Audre Massie
Also recognized was Bonnie Legg who is retiring as the Ottawa County American Red Cross Disaster Action Team Leader after 11 years of service.