On Friday, Jan. 24 the Oak Harbor Area Chamber of Commerce held its annual dinner meeting at the Community Markets VFW Memorial Hall. In addition to the chamber members, Ottawa County Commissioners, Steve Arndt and Jim Sass, Bill Eberle, mayor of Oak Harbor, police chief Steve Weirich and Oak Harbor council members were in attendance. After dinner Chamber President Paulette Weirich held a business meeting and first recognized the board of directors.
All of the members of the Board of Directors were in attendance and they include:
• Don Douglas- Ashley Insurance Group/Village or Oak Harbor
• David Franck- Tri Motor Sales
• Debi Heiks- Signature Realty
• Michelle Ish- The HR Department
• Guy Parmigian- BCS School District
• Cherie Salazar- Batdorff Realty
• Austin Short- The Pit Stop
• Paulette Weirich- Drown’s Dairy
There were four vacant seats on the board and a motion was passed to fill the empty seats. The candidates were:
• Matt Adkins- Classic Construction
• Mike Barr- Commodore Perry Federal Credit Union
• Vern Conley- Ottawa County Veteran’s Office
• Patricia Peters- Magruder Hospital
With four nominees and four candidates at hand, the board moved to fill the seats with the willing candidates.
“2013 was a great year for Oak Harbor,” Weirich went on to say after the seats were filled. “We would like to make 2014 even better.”
Weirich went on to thank the sponsors that have donated throughout the year. She explained that without their support the community wouldn’t be able to put on such great events such as the Apple Festival, Community Christmas, the Easter egg hunt and the Independence Day celebration.
Valerie Winterfield, Executive Director, then took the floor and added that it takes a great board to make the organization run. She shared a quote that all found applicable to their organization:
“Our volunteers aren’t paid, but that doesn’t mean they’re worthless; it means they’re priceless.”