The Wolcott Keeper's House, 9999 Bayshore Road, Marblehead, will open for the 2014 summer season on Tuesday, June 10 from 1-5 p.m. Volunteers recently prepared with an informal training session with volunteer coordinators Bill and Sharon Coder refreshing memories on the place of the 1820's stone home in the history of the Firelands, and in the ongoing War of 1812 commemoration. Visitors frequently ask why the house is 2 1/2 miles away and isn't next to the lighthouse. Marblehead's first Lighthouse keeper, Benajah Wolcott, owned a farm on the peninsula, and the new lighthouse was a moderate overland walk from the back of his farm before Bayshore Road existed.
Docents share other stories from the early history of the peninsula, and Wolcott's service in the Revolutionary War and as a member of the survey team for the Firelands land grant. The property has a small museum and gift shop, and an assortment of books and DVD's about area history. The house is a project of the Ottawa County Historical Society, who purchased it in 1989, restored it, and uses it as a venue for sharing the history of the Firelands and early Ottawa County. Music, military reenactments, frontier craft and fireplace cooking also make the Keepers House a popular destination for summer visitors.
The 2014 schedule is 1-5 p.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from June 10 until August 28. Saturdays, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. from June 14 through October 11. Special events include Music in the Firelands, with frontier music and the North Coast Concert Band on July 12, hearth cooking on the Keeper's House fireplace September 13, and a Civil War encampment October 11 during the Lighthouse Festival.
Visit our website, www.keepers.house or call 419-798-9339 for more information. The house is open by appointment for groups. There are restroom facilities and accessible entry.