Quasquicentennial – it's not a word that rolls easily off anyone's tongue, but it is an appropriate description of the upcoming celebration at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Rocky Ridge. The church is located about four miles west of Oak Harbor. On Sunday, April 7, the church will celebrate its 125th year, the quasquicentennial of its birth in 1888. On April 8th of that year, the St. John parish first known by the German name “Evangelische – Lutherische St, Johannes Gemeinde” was organized by twenty-four charter members under the leadership of the Reverend Samuel Kusthardt.
On November 5, 1888, a frame building constructed using material and labor largely donated by its members was dedicated. Just over two months after the dedication, fire completely destroyed the building. However, the members were not discouraged, as even with their humble means they began the construction of a brick building that very spring. In October of that year, less than twelve months after the dedication of the original church, the new brick building was dedicated. This structure served as the church's home until it moved into its present sanctuary less than a mile away in 1967.