From 1897 through 1962, the South Bass Island Light Station, situated between the Marblehead and Green Island lighthouses, guided ships through the south passage of Lake Erie. The lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The Ohio State University has used the property since 1967 for its Stone Laboratory programs on Gibraltar and South Bass Island.
Different from the typical lighthouse with a tower and separate keeper’s quarters, the red brick slate-roofed South Bass Island lighthouse has living space and attached tower. Except for porch enclosures, it remains essentially the same as when it was first constructed.
The lighthouse is at the southern tip of South Bass Island, just south of the Miller Ferry Dock. The grounds are open to visitors and on Mondays and Tuesdays through Aug. 13, from 11 a.m.-5 p.m., it is open for tours. The tour cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children 6-12.
For more information, go to www.southbasslighthouse.osu.edu. Photo by Donna Lueke