At the regular board meeting on Tuesday night, district officials honored three State Qualifiers in Wrestling and one State Qualifier in Diving, the three state wrestlers were Alex Bergman, Luke Cramer and Jared Chambers and the state diver is Bryce Buderer.
Board President Dornbusch presented to the attendees a presentation on the current state of the BCS school district. Mr. Dornbusch shared information about the district’s financial state due to a decrease in state funding, a decrease in student enrollment, and seven failed levy attempts. Mr. Dornbusch also stated that 40 people will be without jobs at the end of the school year. These reductions were made across the district. We are accomplishing a "balanced budget" in that we are no longer deficit spending. Following Mr. Dornbusch’s presentation the board listened to over 20 concerned citizens, students, and facility members regarding the proposed cuts.
Following are other business actions taken by the board at the meeting:
• Approved the Feb. 24, 28 and March 9 meeting minutes
• Approved the monthly financial reports.
• Accepted the resignation of Danielle Arebaugh as Assistant Cheerleading Coach.
• Accepted the resignation of Keith Recker as high school math teacher, assistant football coach and weight room advisor effective the end of the 11-12 school year.
• Accepted the resignation of Tom Witt as Maintenance I for the purpose of retirement effective March 30, 2012 after 26 years of service.
• Accepted the resignation of Shawn Nickel as Head Custodian for the purpose of retirement after 35 years of service.
• Accepted the resignation of Marcia Boes as Music teacher effective June 1, 2012.
• Approved the recommendation to suspend the contract of Kim Sutkus as Librarian beginning the 2012-2013 school year.
• Approved Cristina Shepard as a classified substitute for the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year.
• Approved Megan Slomsky as a certified substitute teacher for the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year.
• Approved the fees for Acorn Alley beginning with the 2012 summer program: $0.75/hour with $5 registration fee for free lunches, $1/hour with $10 registration fee for reduced lunches and $2.30/hour with $20 registration fee
• Accepted the donation for the seating project at the high school baseball diamond by: Surenergy for $4,000 and Kozy Corners for $500
The board then went into Executive session to discuss personnel. The next board meeting is being held on April 24th at 6 p.m. at the Board of Education Office.
At a special board meeting on March 9, Diane Kershaw, B-C-S Superintendent, submitted her letter of resignation. “It has been a pleasure to work with students and staff of B-C-S for the past six years. I am pleased that we were able to reach an ‘excellent’ report card rating and begin the steps of reorganization to help the district’s financial future,” said Kershaw. Her future plans are to begin working with the Ohio Department of Education in assisting districts with student achievement and mentoring administrators, doing this will allow more time with her family.
The board of education has developed a plan in cooperation with North Point Educational Service Center to ensure a smooth transition for this top leadership position.