By Mayor Jacqueline Bird
As it is told, in the early 1800’s the first settlers arrived on the Marblehead Peninsula. The goal was to survey the new territory provided to them after being burned out by the British during the Revolution. Though some took advantage of this new frontier, most soon fled, fearing invasion by the British and their Indians allies.
Shortly after the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813, when Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry defeated the British, the settlers finally felt safe to return to the new frontier, their home, the Marblehead Peninsula.
As the years passed and population grew, the residents petitioned Ottawa County on June 2, 1890, to incorporate a municipality. The petition filed with the State of Ohio incorporated our home, The Village of Marblehead, on Jan. 2, 1891.
Proudly, our village sits on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula, dividing Lake Erie and the Sandusky Bay. It is a total size of 4.31 miles. 3.31 miles is land with 1 square mile water.