The Greater Port Clinton Area Arts Council and Playmakers Civic Theater will host a collaborative series of theater workshops and performances open to all this year in Ottawa County.
“3-2-1 You’re On!” is a series of six workshops ranging from how to audition to costuming the character — and all the bits in between — to make a show, as well as two performances by The Toledo Repertoire Theater and members of Playmakers Civic Theater.
The theater workshops, dates and locations are:
- “How to Audition”, hosted at The Arts Garage on Wednesday, May 18 at 6 p.m., will focus on preparation and training to be the “perfect fit” for a role.
- “How to Write a Play,” hosted at Playmakers Civic Theater on Wednesday, June 15 at 2 p.m., will be taught by playwright and published composer Marylin Forster. The workshop will consist of a lecture and writing a scene using characters suggested by Forster.
- “Acting the Part,” hosted at Playmakers Civic Theater on Wednesday, July 20 at 2 p.m., will be conducted by Paul Causman, who will guide students to success through a mock audition and performing in a short scene.
- “Tech Theater as Art,” hosted at Playmakers Civic Theater on Wednesday, Aug, 17 at 2 p.m., will unlock the mysteries of set design and lighting plots along with on-stage construction.
- “The Director”, hosted at Playmakers Civic Theater on Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 6 p.m., will be conducted by practiced director Steven Fillmore. Fillmore will host a lecture, conduct a mock audition and run through the directing process from auditions to curtain call.
- “Costuming the Character,” hosted at Playmakers Civic Theater on Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 6 p.m., will be taught by Playmakers own Nadine Jensen, who will cover the challenges and solutions of costuming and the rich Playmakers wardrobe collection.
Fees are $10 per workshop for adults and free to students. Tickets to the performances to be announced at a later date. All net profit will be split between The GPCAAC and Playmakers.
The performance series will culminate in the Playmakers Civic Theater hosting The Rep’s production of “Side by Side by Sondheim” on Saturday, Aug. 27 at 7:30 p.m.
This is the first of its kind collaboration between The Repertoire and Playmakers, which will provide front-of-house services, black-box staging, lighting and sound support. The Rep will provide props, musical accompaniment, the cast, crew and direction.
If you only see one Sondheim play in your lifetime, then see the very best doing “Side by Side by Sondheim.”
The final piece of the puzzle is a performance by Playmakers of “Broadway’s my Beat” on Wednesday, Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m. at Playmakers Civic Theater, 604 West Sixth St., Port Clinton.
Broadway will be produced by Stacy Maple and Greg Peiffer, and directed by Douglas Braun. WPCR Radio will sponsor the live studio show in a traditional style with sound actors gathered around a microphone, in front of a live audience.
To learn more and purchase tickets, please visit pcplaymakers.org for more information. Sponsorships are available for one or more sponsors or grants for each series.