The Bowling Green State University team of Jamesen Simion of Saline, Mich., and Cameron Wilt of Alvada, Ohio, won the Abu Garcia College Fishing presented by YETI at Lake Erie event on Friday, July 31 with a five-bass limit weighing 16 pounds, 1 ounce. The victory earned the Bowling Green bass club $2,000 and qualified them to compete in the 2021 College Fishing National Championship.
The Falcons duo won by a thin 2-ounce margin over the second-place team of Blake Johnson and Zachary Graham from Adrian College, who weighed in five bass totaling 15 pounds, 15 ounces. The tournament launched from the Shelby Street Boat Launch in Sandusky.
The top five teams that advanced to the 2021 College Fishing National Championship are:
- Bowling Green State University – Jamesen Simion, Saline, Mich., and Cameron Wilt, Alvada, Ohio, five bass, 16-1, $2,000
- Adrian College – Blake Johnson, Mooresville, Ind., and Zachary Graham, Gallipolis, Ohio, five bass, 15-15, $1,000
- Adrian College – Alex Henderson, Adrian, Mich., and Griffin Fernandes, McCordsville, Ind., five bass, 15-10, $500
- Adrian College – Tyler VanBrandt, Morenci, Mich., and Jarrod Layton, Maybee, Mich., five bass, 15-2, $500
- Kent State University – Tanner Ward, Coshocton, Ohio, five bass, 14-13, $500
A surprising number of national bass fishing tournaments going out of Sandusky’s Shelby Street Launch have had Lake Erie’s excellent smallmouth and largemouth bass fishing in the news lately, starting with the Toyota Series Northern Division opener on July 9-11, a $60,000 event.
Starting the final day in eighth place, Lee Rogers of Newton, N.J., rocketed up the leaderboard with the biggest limit of the day to win the Toyota Series Northern Division event. With the field confined to the area around Sandusky Bay due to wind, Rodgers brought 15 pounds, 10 ounces to the scale for a total of 48-12 to earn a $32,439 paycheck.
Bishop Hartley High School from Columbus, Ohio won the recent FLW High School Fishing’s Lake Erie Open based in Sandusky, with Braden McNamara and Mike Abbott catching a limit of 5 bass weighing 15 pounds, 15 ounces.
The Tackle Warehouse Pro Circuit is taking its turn in Sandusky this week for its sixth and final regular season tournament, hosted by the Lake Erie Shores & Islands Welcome Center. The 200-angler field is chasing a total of $1.3 million. Anglers will wrap up the tournament at a weigh-in at the Shelby Boat Launch on Friday, Aug. 14.