Bistro 163 has free carryout Wednesday – Saturday
The free community meals that are being provided at Bistro 163 began this past week as the coronavirus pandemic shuttered sit-down meals at all of the area restaurants, and the Bistro 163 meals were certainly very popular.
Maureen Saponari of the Salvation Army, just across the parking lot from Bistro 163 in the Sutton Center, reported that over the four days of food service, the volunteer workers directed by chef Babette “Babs” Klacik served a whopping 1,006 carryout dinners. The Friday night dinners were the most popular, with 300 meals provided to members of the community.
The Bistro 163 dinners were provided in collaboration with The Salvation Army, Ottawa County Family Advocacy Center, United Way – Ottawa County, Community Support Services and Senior Resources. Meals will be distributed at Bistro 163 at the side door for pick up only from 4-6 p.m. on Wednesday through Saturday.
Bistro 163 is located at the Sutton Center 1848 E. Perry St., Port Clinton.
Home delivered meals will continue for current clients. Entrance into homes has been restricted if at all possible.
Senior residents contact Salvation Army for meals
Food assistance for senior residents who are not already receiving meals through Ottawa County Senior Resources are asked to contact the Salvation Army, 419-732- 2769. All Senior Centers are now closed, with Grab & Go meals available based on the Senior Center schedule.
Reservations must be made the day prior. Pick up time is 11:30 a.m.-Noon.
Contact your local Senior Center to make a meal reservation: Danbury Senior Center – 8470 E. Harbor Rd. – 419-798-4101; Elmore Golden Oldies – 19225 Witty Rd. – 419-862-3874; Genoa Senior Center – 514 Main St. – 419-855-4491; Oak Harbor Senior Center – 8180 W. State Rt. 163 – 419-898-2800; Port Clinton Senior Center – 320 E. Third St. – 419-734-1418; and Put-in-Bay Senior Center – 195 Concord Ave. – 419-285-5501.
Food Giveaway at St. Vincent De Paul
The Food Giveaway schedule at the St. Vincent DePaul food bank at Portage Resale Center, 301 W. 2nd St., Port Clinton from 5-6:30 p.m. is set for April, May and June.
Recipients need to bring an ID and proof of residency for themselves and all household members. The Food Giveaway Schedule is Thursdays on March 26; April 9 and April 23; May 7 and May 21; and June 4 and June 18.
Local food pantries listed
Here is a listing of all carryout only food pantries in Ottawa County that are servicing specific school districts where people live. The pantries are:
- The Church of Truth Ministries, 745 Lake St., Gypsum (former Portage School). Open Mondays, Wednesdays from 11:30 a.m.– 1 p.m.
- Seed Faith Food Pantry, 974 Lake St., Gypsum (previously Care and Share Building). Open Mondays, Wednesdays from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, 165 N. Toussaint Rd., Oak Harbor. Open Mondays, Thursdays, 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Oak Harbor Alliance Chapel, 11805 State Route 105, Oak Harbor. Last Wednesday of the month, 4-6 p.m.
- Shoreline Church, 769 N. Locust St., Oak Harbor. Third Friday of the month, 9-10 a.m. Senior Food Box pick up site, second Thursday of each month, 11 a.m.-Noon.
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 541 Church Rd., Marblehead. The third Saturday of the month 8:30-10 a.m.
- Christ Community Church, 303 W. Fourth St. Open the third Saturday of the month, 10 a.m.-Noon.
- Grace Lutheran Church, 19255 Witty Rd., Elmore. Open last two Fridays of the month, 9 a.m.-Noon.
- Elliston Zion UMC, 18045 W. William St. (off Elliston Trowbridge Rd), Graytown. Open the second Wednesday of the month, 4-6- p.m.
Ottawa County Schedule of Free Meals
- Faith House Nazarene Church, corner of 4th and Monroe streets, Port Clinton. Hot meal every Wednesday at 6 p.m. on a carryout basis only.
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 214 E. 2nd St., Port Clinton, Third Thursday of every month at 5-6:30 p.m. on a carryout basis only.
- Oak Harbor Alliance Chapel, 11805 State Route 105, Oak Harbor. The last Sunday of every month at Noon on a carryout basis only.
- Church of Truth Ministries, 745 Lake St., Gypsum. (The former Portage School). Community meal every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. on a carryout basis only.