A Household Hazardous Waste Collection has been scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 5 by the Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca Joint Solid Waste District. The collection will take place from 8 a.m. to Noon for residents of Ottawa, Sandusky or Seneca County, including Fostoria and Bellevue residents.
Three centralized locations are available: Ottawa County Fairgrounds, 7870 West St. Rt. 163, Oak Harbor; Sandusky County Fairgrounds, North parking lot at 712 North St., Fremont; Seneca County Fairgrounds, South lot, Co. Rd. 594, Tiffin.
Early bird registration is from 8-10:30 a.m. Register on RecycleOSS.org to secure a time and experience a shorter line. After 10:30 a.m., registration is encouraged, but not required. Last minute recyclers can drop off Household Hazardous Waste; however, lines might be longer with extended wait times.
Properly packing up Household Hazardous Waste for transport is necessary to maintain safe conditions for the driver and the staff carrying and sorting the hazardous materials. Do not remove labels from containers, so the contractor can easily identify the material. Do not combine chemicals together. It can cause a dangerous chemical reaction.
Residents are asked not to smoke, to wear a mask and to stay in their vehicles while they are being unloaded.
The following paint and hazardous materials will be accepted during the collection in containers no larger than five gallons:
- Latex & oil based paint, sealers, primers, coatings & aerosol cans
- Household pesticides (bug and rodent killers), herbicides (weed killers) insecticides (bug killers) & fungicides (mold killers)
- Varnish, polyurethane and shellacs, wood stains, primers and strippers, paint thinner & turpentine
- Auto and marine fuels/fluids, antifreeze, motor oil, kerosene & lighter fluid
- Household cleaners (oven/drain cleaner & muriatic acid)
- Inhalers (asthma only)
- Used cooking oil
- Hand-held propane cylinders
- Rechargeable batteries, fluorescent bulbs & compact fluorescent bulbs
- Marine and auto flares
- Mercury – liquids, thermostats and thermometers (transport in non-breakable container with tight lid or two sealed plastic bags).
This is a household collection only. Materials from businesses or institutions will not be accepted. No construction materials such as shingles or asbestos materials will be accepted.
Any paint or household hazardous waste container that is completely dry and empty can be disposed of in your regular trash if lid is removed.
If a thermometer breaks, mercury is a danger in the house or a vehicle, because mercury vaporizes at room temperature (70 F). Breathing this vapor can damage the brain, liver and kidneys. If there is ever a mercury spill in the home, ventilate the space and contact your local fire department immediately for information on how to handle the spill.
For general recycling information, District recycling collections and events log onto RecycleOSS.org. You can also join us on our Facebook site: Ottawa Sandusky Seneca Green Recycling Scene. Follow OSS Solid Waste on Twitter @Aim2BGreen. For more information, call 419-334-7222 or 1-888-850-7224.