The Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca Joint Solid Waste District is sponsoring a Household Hazardous Waste Collection on Saturday, May 4, from 9 a.m. to noon for residents of Ottawa, Sandusky or Seneca County. This includes all residents of Fostoria and Bellevue.
Collection times are: Last name A through M (9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) and N- through Z (10:30 a.m. – noon).
Accepting materials in Ottawa County is the Ottawa County Fairgrounds, 7870 West St. Rt. 163, Oak Harbor. Do not to smoke and to stay in vehicles while they are being unloaded. Proper handling and transporting of residential materials is necessary to maintain safe conditions and to allow staff to properly sort hazardous materials on site.
Do not remove labels from containers in order to easily identify the material. Do not combine chemicals. The following paint and related materials will be accepted during the collection in containers no larger than five gallons.
- Latex; oil based paint, sealers, primers, coatings; and spray paint aerosol cans
- Household pesticides (bug and rodent killers), herbicides (weed killers)
insecticides (bug killers), fungicides (mold killers)
- Varnish, polyurethane and shellacs, wood stains, primers and strippers, paint thinner, turpentine, kerosene and lighter fluid
- Household cleaners (oven and drain cleaner and muriatic acid)
- Inhalers (asthma only) and used cooking oil
- Hand-held propane cylinders
- Household batteries, fluorescent bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs
- Automotive fluids including antifreeze and motor oil and fuels
- Marine and auto flares
- Mercury – liquids, thermostats and thermometers
- Any paint or household hazardous waste container that is completely dry and empty can be disposed of in your regular trash if lid is removed.
- No construction materials (shingles) or asbestos materials
This is a household collection only. Materials from businesses or institutions will not be accepted. As a part of this collection you may bring your old mercury fever thermometer in a plastic bag to the collection site and exchange it for a new digital thermometer while the District’s supply lasts.
For general recycling information, District recycling collections and events log onto the OSS Solid Waste District’s website at www.recycleoss.org.