The Ohio Cattlemen’s Association’s (OCA) Beef Exhibitor Show Total (BEST) program wrapped up the 2021-2022 BEST season in early May at the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus. More than 800 BEST exhibitors and families gathered to watch youth receive awards for their show success, cattle industry knowledge, photography skills, community service efforts and more.
This year’s BEST program featured s even weekends of sanctioned shows that wove their way across the state. It was the biggest season yet with more than 676 youth participants showing around 1,030 head of market animals and heifers throughout the season.
This season’s sponsoring partners were Ag-Pro Companies and John Deere, Bane-Welker Equipment, Bob Evans Farms, Diamond T Land & Cattle Co., Dickson Cattle Co., D&E Electric – The Young Family, M.H. EBY, Inc., Farm Credit Mid-America, Ohio Farm Bureau, The Folks Printing, Jones Show Cattle, R.D. Jones Excavating, Ricer Equipment and Weaver Livestock.
“There is no other program in the country like Ohio’s BEST program,” said Karigan Blue, BEST program coordinator. “We are proud to not only host competitive cattle shows, but additional divisions such as Stockmanship, community service that mold these youth to become the future leaders of our industry.”
The following are the awards presented to Ottawa County youngsters throughout the night:
Intermediate Stockmanship Division
- Third Overall Intermediate Stockman – Alexis Perry, Ottawa County
- Adult Division – 3rd Place – Susie Perry, Ottawa County – “Beans for Days”
- First Overall Intermediate Showman – Karly Goetz, Ottawa County
Breed Division Champions
- 4th Overall Shorthorn Heifer – Karly Goetz, Ottawa County
Bred & Owned Champions
- C4th Overall Bred and Owned Heifer – Karly Goetz, Ottawa County, Shorthorn
- Reserve Shorthorn Heifer – Karly Goetz, Ottawa County
- Reserve Chianina Steer – Alexis Perry, Ottawa County